Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: JRSC @ 10 psi?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2000
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    'm trying to get some information about the possibility of upgrading my JRSC to 10.0 psi. I have heard conflicting reports, some saying that my engine (B18C1) can handle 10.0 psi without changing the pistons, piston rods, etc., while Jackson Racing told me that I would need to upgrade these (and other parts) to use a 10-lb. pulley, unless I don't mind quickly destroying my engine. Does anyone have another viewpoint on this?

    Also, someone told me that the DC Sports 4-2-1 header works better for supercharged engines than the DC Sports 4-1 header. Is this true?

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot-

    -JD

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's do able with stock internals, but you have to be carefull.

    Search this forum on "CRV Crank Pulley" and "Endyne Stepper Pulley". I'm sure you'll find plenty.

    Greg

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 1999
    Posts
    463
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your intake temps. will be so hot that I wouldn't even think of doing this without a J&S timing unit...

    ------------------
    1998' 4dr GSR, 8psi JRSC w/hand ported plenum, Walbro HP fuel pump, valves set to .005i/.006e, MSD BTM, B&M CommandFlo regulator(working it out), stock intake w/resinator cut off at fenderwell for "cool air", Greddy sp exhaust, Tokico Illumina 5-ways, Neuspeed springs(sux!), Skunkworks 22mm rear swaybar, ES motor mounts and front swaybar bushings, Yokohama AVS 205/50/15's, Metal Master brake pads(KVR Carbon Fibre pads sitting on work bench) ,B&M fuel pressure gauge, Autometer sport comp A/F gauge in dimmer location...

    YLW 00' ITR #00-1011 with AEM CAI and 143db triple air horns

    Honest officer, I had no idea how fast I was going...the speedometer only gos to 150...

    Get paid to surf the Web!!! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=TUD-039

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  5. #5
    Inactive Member nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been contemplating 10psi in my GSR, and I'm not far from being done with the preperation work at this point. Is this really stupid for me to do, and should I stick to 8 or 9psi instead?

    I want to crank this thing up a notch, but I don't want to destroy it.

    ------------------
    '98 GSR JRSC with all sorts of high-performance, high-tech, overpriced stuff packed in all over the place.
    http://www.donia.org/clandestine

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been running an Endyn stepper pulley since August and have not broken anything yet. Just remember that as you crank up the boost, you have to upgrade supporting systems to complement it and you have to pay close attention to the motor's state of tune as there's far less margin for things to get out of whack without breaking stuff.

    As far as intake temps are concerned, If you want to keep discharge temps down don't use a "filter on a stick" or any intake arrangement that draws in air from the engine bay.

    The blower discharge temps aren't typically as high as you'd think from looking at the Eaton website, as they're based on measurements taken when the blower is operated in a test environment where the temperature of the blower has been allowed to stabilize in stagnant air; something that just doesn't happen "as installed". As cold air intake and air circulation around the blower case in the engine compartment keep the blower cooler, it never actually reaches the temps achieved in the test environment when running the same amount of boost.

    Check out what Norman Garrett has to say about it:

    http://www.realbig.com/miata/miata/1996-09/0271.html


    [This message has been edited by rjaffey (edited November 02, 2000).]

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    JD,

    My car has the 3.8" pulley, and I see about 9.5 psi at full boost. I have stock internals, and have been running this way for over a year now... and I drive my car like I hate it !!! As Rafe said, tuning is the key, and if the motor is in a well tuned state, you can get away with it with minimal ill effects. However, make a tuning mistake, and the results could be disasterous... and it can happen very quickly.

    Be careful.


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  8. #8
    Inactive Member nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm.

    My GSR currently is configured with an AEM CAI, Kami 4-1 header, JRSC 6psi, and J&S SG. I'm collecting parts for my next round of installation madness. Due up for installation are the Moroso catch can setup, cartech FPR, B&M commandflo, JR BTC, TPS circuit trick, and a JG throttle body. With all that installed, I'll let the tuning process stabilize a bit before installing the larger injectors. With that installed and debugged I think I'm ready for the pulley swap. I'm also seriously considering the oil cooler setup. Does this sound like a reasonable way to proceed? Am I missing anything?

    ------------------
    '98 GSR JRSC with all sorts of high-performance, high-tech, overpriced stuff packed in all over the place.
    http://www.donia.org/clandestine

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    nexusone:

    I would do the injectors at the same time as the Cartech... also, you did not mention a larger fuel pump. You will REQUIRE a Walbro GSS-342 or Bosch pump to deliver the fuel volume necessary at the higher fuel pressures you will reach.


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    rjaffey, what kind of intake you are you running? I've been looking for something better than a filter on a stick for my car. I wish TOO would get around to selling the thompson megatube at a good price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •